History of Hypnosis
James Hazlerig, MA, CHP
This course will explore the history of hypnosis, examining the personalities and social forces that led, for better and worse, to the state of our industry today. Starting with Franz Anton Mesmer and continuing to the current day, this course will trace the interplay of rival theories and approaches to hypnosis as well as the interaction between different venues and contexts.
GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
At the conclusion of this course, the professional hypnotist will be able to:
- demonstrate a chronological and causal understanding of the origins, evolution, and history of hypnosis.
- identify major figures in the history of hypnosis as well as their main contributions and biases.
- identify and characterize major organizations in the hypnosis industry.
- identify major schools of thought within historical and current hypnosis.
- understand the role and nature of fictional portrayals of hypnosis.
- demostrate familiarity with various antecedents, parallels, and analogues of hypnosis.
- apply critical thinking skills to historical claims and texts.
REQUIRED TEXT (to be purchased separately)
Each week will have a unique portfolio of video lectures. Follow the links below to access each weeks lectures. Live class discussions will focus on clarification of the week’s reading and lecture material so pace your lecture viewing appropriately.
ONLINE CLASS DISCUSSIONS
Class will meet for one hour in the “HPTI webconferencing room” via internet each week for 4 weeks.